Saturday, April 08, 2006

Tomorrow it's d-day, the Rotterdam marathon, my first full one. I think I'm ready. Actually, I wouldn't have minded to run last Thursday already. It really is like the books tell you. In the last two weeks you have to cut down on weekly mileage (it's called 'tapering') to let your body fully recover from the intense build-up training program to enter the race in top shape. Of course, the reduced training time allows you to other interesting things instead. That sounds attractive, but can you, when your mind is with the marathon all the time? Second, as you don't run that much, you loose confidence. And third, lack of exercise makes one bad tempered, which isn't nice for you nor for your environment. Everything little sign of physical malfunction boosts stress level. Will my calf make it? Should I take that irritation in my throat seriously? Fortunately, today I ran a short distance. It felt good and re-established confidence in tomorrow's challenge. Yesterday I got my number. It's 774. The guy at the helpdesk was friendly to me when I asked him for admission to a reserved strating area for faster runners, ahead of the pack. My half-marathon personal best appeared convincing enough. Now I can race from the start without having to slalom around slower runners in the first few kilometers. Actually, it's a lazy day today. I try to avoid standing for too long, I eat carbohydrates all day, drink lots of water (and pee it out again), try to nap for a while and get my clothes together. What to wear? I don't know. What will the weather do? For how long will I have to stand still before the start? Anyway, it'll be alright. At 11 AM the canon will be fired and the crowd will start running, whatever the weather, whatever I wear. From that moment the nerves will be gone. And three (or maybe a little more) hours later the whole thing will be history and I can get back to normal life again, which is probably something my girlfriend is looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment