Sunday, April 02, 2006

Last week we finished our job in Hamburg, so I flew back from Hamburg to Amsterdam for the last time in this project on wednesday evening. I don't know whether it should, but it can be interpreted as symbolic that I forgot to take my trolley off the cart when deboarding the aircraft. The trolley, which is too big to take inside the cabin of the small aircraft, I handed over to Lufthansa personnel before boarding to put in the cargo compartment and give it back to me at the bottom of the aircraft stairs upon arrival. However, in the bus from the aircraft to the terminal building I suddenly realized that I didn't have my trolley with me. Was it an unconscious action: "Project is over, so I don't need a trolley anymore!"? I don't think so. The lady of the baggage handling counter tracked my little suitcase swiftly. It had been transferred to the baggage reclaim band. Things like this never happen to me, I used to say. And it used to be true! but I'm afraid I can't say that anymore. Thursday morning I went to the office in Hoofddorp. When I wanted to get off the overly crowded train at my destination, a young, blond woman suddenly fell at my feet. "What is it that gives me the honour?" I thought, but it was immediately clear that this woman had lost counsiousness. What to do? Call 112? But what is the address of a moving train? Tank god, she quickly reopened her eyes, stood up again and walked onto the platform. She 'just' had fainted, 'no problem'. Thursday night I did a 10k run at a moderate pace. Too bad, my right calf hadn't forgotten last Sunday's torture and began protesting again. I hope the bastard will stop moaning and do its job next Sunday. Friday afternoon I visited the factory of Stork Fokker in Papendecht. The mission was to get acquainted with the project leader of the development team of a new dedicated factory for manufacturing of some composite parts for the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF). Possibly, it's going to be my next project, being part of that team and help optimizing the design of part of the factory. As I understood the project faced a tight schedule, I expected to start tomorrow, but things need some time. In two weeks I'll know more. Don't know how to intrepret this message, which isn't quite in line with the signals I received earlier. To be continued. Today, the last long run before Rotterdam. A short one, as it is tapering time. I did 15 km, from here to Scheveningen boulevard and back. The weather was nice, so the boulevard along the beach crowded. I hadn't expected to be forced to slalom around the pedestrians in tights, leaving the impression of being an exhibitionist. Fortunately I didn't have time to worry about that too much, I had to concentrate on the headwind and respiration. I wanted to run at marathon pace, but of course, I didn't have the means to verify this along the route, so I chose to be at the safe side and ran too fast. A stupid thing to do in the tapering phase! Nevertheless, afterwards I felt great. My calf moaned again, but at reduced volume. He'll be quiet in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment