Friday, May 12, 2006

The ambivalence of funerals

Funerals are weird happenings. On one hand it’s always a tragedy, sad. On the other hand however, most funerals are unique reunions of people that have shared histories but hardly ever meet. Yesterday, my good friend Pieter (29) was buried in Pijnacker. I wasn’t his only good friend; many many people, from different places and times, had come to honor Pieter one last time. As Pieter and I have a fair share of common history, many of the people were familiar to me, too. Family, cyclists, class mates, football team mates, it was nice to see them all back. They bring back many good memories. But why does that require a funeral? That’s a price I wouldn’t pay if I had the choice. Nevertheless, the fact that so many people are hurt by this loss makes me feel happy about the man Pieter was, makes me enjoy Pieter one last time, but in the same moment confirms the hurt. After the ceremonies, we share the sadness in a group of cycling friends and commemorate the experiences we enjoyed with Pieter. It makes me feel connected, even a little bit happy, as it shows the beauty of the people involved. But then, when leaving the stage to go home, sadness comes in again, as I realize that with the loss of an unconditional friend the ties with many of these people become insecure if I do not act. The latter seems small next to the first, but it’s there. It’s in my own hands.

PS: please visit www.wtos.nl/pieter to memorialize a great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment