Monday, November 30, 2009

New office

Found an office more beautiful than I had ever imagined possible.


Main reading room from my position

It's the Main Reading Room of the Library of Congress. I discovered it last weekend, as it was listed as the third (of 26) reasons to love living in Washington DC in the Washingtonian magazine that I read last weekend in the 'man's corner' of a women's boutique on Connecticut Avenue. The magazine was right. When my inspiration runs dry, I look up to Shakespeare's statue. When I tend to dream away, the serious look of Beethoven forces me to refocus. And on the left there's Newton to help stay grounded in science. When I get hungry, I can walk to a cafeteria through the marble floored corridors and the concrete catacombs underneath the building, where blue and white collar workers and tourists pass each other, neither of them paying particular attention the other. Around me, in the reading room, in the cone of the light from the small desk lamp that is closest, people pear through reading glasses to the yellow pages of old books that were brought to them from the dark wooden stacks in the alcoves. Many alternate reading and hastily typing on their laptops. I wonder what works of art or Pulitzer prize winning master pieces are being conceived in this serenity. Or would most of them be, like me, officeless freelancers who fled the demon of restlessness residing in their appartments? Sssshhh...can't ask.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:57 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete