Sunday, March 19, 2006

To run or not to run

"Vogel fliegt, Fisch schwimmt, Mensch läuft", said the legendary Emile Zatopek, but why then, as soon as man does so, he falls apart? It's sunday morning, sunrays on out floor, the smell of coffee indulging my nose, not much to do, but I'm stressed. In three weeks (on April 9) the Rotterdam Marathon will take place, which I signed up for 4 months ago, my firts full marathon. Since then I've been committed to a steady build-up training program; I've overcome potential show-stopping injuries in my knees; I finally got confidence in this mission. But now, in the moment I should be running to give my endurance a final boost and acquire some speed, I'm forced to rest. What happened? Last week, I did a three-hour run. When I arrived back home, I could hardly walk anymore. My left heel was crying out loud. It was swollen where the achilles meets the heel bone. Not again! Here's the trouble spot: Friday I visited the physiotherapist. He is now trying to fix me up very quickly before the marathon will take place. He loosens my ankle and maybe an injection in the infection is recommended. On his advice I visited a podologist yesterday for a second opinion on my shoes. Nothing wrong with my shoes, except that the rim of the heel bolster was probably irritating my achilles, which caused the infection. The guy bent out the pressure spot. I'm glad there is nothing wrong with my running itself. I hope that I will be back in the race soon, but nevertheless, I'm afraid these runless days in this crucial phase are killing for the result in Rotterdam. Running is a great sport. You can do it anywhere, anytime and you only need a pair of shoes. Besides, there are few things in life that can compete with the mental boost running gives you. Then why can't my physique cope with the load it is easily subjected to by my psyche?

No comments:

Post a Comment