Thursday, January 28, 2010

Barefoot running

I've become increasingly intrigued by barefoot and forefoot running as it just makes much sense to me as a more natural, efficient and elegant technique. And now here's a piece of quantitative evidence: runners out there, you've got to watch this video.

I'm actually quite surprised that this isn't a long resolved issue. I guess it has something to do with asphalt being the major surface most people are running on (try running barefoot on pavement for the first time and it won't be long before the blood comes out) and, that's my little theory, the calf-strength required which starters may not develop before running into their first injuries. Besides, there's the interests of the incumbent sportswear industry. In the same time a new industry around barefoot running is developing quickly; see e.g. the prducers ecco biomvibramnike free and feelmax, and a range of methods like pose and chi, and instructions for those.

In the video, look how the calves are shaking at heel strike, while staying firm at forefoot strike. As I said, barefoot running makes sense to me. I think it was due to some injury that out of fear for overloading I have become a forefoot runner. And increasingly I am bothered by the large heel cushion in the sole of my trainers. It's in the way all the time. And every time I do hit the ground heel first the impact shocks me. On the other hand, I suspect that forefoot running caused a metatarsal stress fracture in my right foot last year, as it might stress those little bones more on bending. Nevertheless, I find this quite convincing; now here's some serious evidence supporting personal observations and bringing the moment I take off my running shoes closer.

Swollen right foot due to metatarsal stress fracture. June 2009

1 comment:

  1. Just tried barefoot running for a few minutes: the stones puncturing the foot soles was nasty, but it was so much smoother than with shoes on. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete