Saturday, August 29, 2009

Money is of no consequence

Walked through the art and antique fair on "Lange Voorhout" in The Hague today. To my own surprise I was quite touched by the beauty of many of the little (and larger) pieces of art, which artists were selling from little booths. The timid, balanced colors, the natural shapes, it all conveyed a message of love and craftsmanship. Where the two aisles between the rows of stands crossed, there was this amazing open air used book shop. The books were horizontally and vertically put in old citrus crates, piled up to make meandering bookcases. It looked great. Wondered what they would do if it started raining.


I scanned the titles while slowly walking along the books, until in the humor section I found a title that's been on my "to read" list since a couple of months. It's said to be a must-read if you have anything to do with economics. The book, by Marten Toonder, is called "Money is of no consequence," after a catch phrase of the main character, the legendary Oliver B. Bumble, a man of honor. It's a hybrid of comic and proza. Although written in 1968, in the few pages I've read so far, I've come across multiple ridiculous yet very truthful observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment