Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Smaller teams in the Tour de France?

Now that the Tour de France is over I have to refine the observation made in my previous post, in which I said that the Tour was dull and that riders should take responsibility to act in the interest of the viewers, who enable them to do what they like and become heroes. Now that the Tour is over, I have completely forgotten the disappointing stages in the second week. I hindsight, I enjoyed this edition very much. What the designers had intended - to keep the battle undecided until the last day - came out quite well. Until the time trial on the last Thursday, multiple candidates were in the race for the yellow jersey. Contador, however, surprised with a magnificent performance and secured his leading position in both the general classification and in his own team. The strongly denied, but evidently rotten relationship between Contador and Armstrong was entertaining drama. The always relaxed and smiling Schleck brothers balanced the tension in the Astana team. What if the Contador-Armstrong story had been one of peace and unity? Had the Tour been as enjoyable? I don't think so. The power of the Astana block would probably have killed the race, despite the design of the design of the trajectory. I still think the balance between the individual attacker and the defending team is skewed too much. It has been suggested to reduce the size to the teams to 5 or 6 riders, instead of 9. I think that would be worth a try. It would be kind of an anti-trust law for cycling. It might help safeguarding the charm and human proportions in professional cycling. With less commercial value at stake, maybe their would be an automatic limit to ever more sophisticated doping, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment