Monday, June 15, 2009

New journey

A reader (apparently I have one!) of my blog expressed that she (it was a she!) was disappointed that in the past several months every time she would check this blog it’d be in vain. No new posts. I was so nicely surprised that there actually were people who read my phrases, that I silently promised to try and revive this little corner of the blogosphere. I intend to write regularly, but about what? Well, I thought I might keep you posted on my attempts to find a job in Washington D.C.. The situation is that this morning I kissed Merijn goodbye. She flew off to Washington to start her post-doc fellowship at the University of Maryland tomorrow morning. So, I’m home alone in The Hague now, trying to figure out a way to make this split as short as possible and get my ass over the ocean very soon. I can just buy a ticket, of course, but they wouldn’t let me stay more than three months, unless I have a job and a visa. So, that’s what I’m trying to get now. The good thing is that Washington D.C. hosts many green think tanks, NGO’s, institutes, etc. that do things I want to do, too: research, analysis and advocacy in climate and energy, working towards a society that thrives within the boundaries of what our one planet can bear. I’m convinced there will be a win-win: joining Merijn ánd making the next step foward in my professional and personal life. New horizons are looming silhouetted. Would that be a good theme? My job search is not starting here. It’s been going on for a few months already. I’m not going to wrap up the history here, but I will just let it unravel over time. From now on, to practice, I will write in English. It serves a second purpose, though: by writing in English I widen my potential audience, thereby increasing the chances for valuable feedback from your part. Can you feel the responsibility on shoulders? Good. Because I warmly invite you to comment on my posts, hoping to improve the quality of the pieces and to get a lot of tips and connections. Dear readers, thank you all for having been with me, and thanks upfront for any of your contributions.

No comments:

Post a Comment